Contrary to the misconception that it is better to sell your home in the summer, putting your home on the market in winter can be advantageous.
Although selling your home in the winter does have its unique set of challenges, you will discover that there are a lot of advantages to listing in winter:
- There is less competition
- There will be less inventory on the market as homeowners typically sell in the warmer months. With fewer homes on the market, there will be less competition and sellers will be in control.
- Buyers are serious
- You will find that generally, those potential buyers in the winter months are more motivated. You will probably have fewer showings, but the people who come through will be more qualified and serious – they should be – braving the cold to view homes!
- You may get a better price
- Because there is less inventory, if you market your home right, you have the potential to getting a great price for your home. Sellers definitely have the upper hand in a winter transaction. In the summer months, buyers might have 20 homes to choose from. But in the winter, there may only be 5 that fit the same criteria. You have a much greater chance of someone submitting an offer on your home in the winter.
Don’t forget, people need to move for many reasons: a new job, a growing family, up or down-sizing, so every day is a good day to list your home for sale. This happens all year round, and there are still plenty of buyers out there
Interest rates are still historically low compared to years past. This is good for buyers today and it’s good for buying your next home. Contact us or call us on 604 913 1000.