Despite the fact that the COVID 19 pandemic that has virtually changed the way we live our lives, people are still buying and selling their properties. Any person buying a home would want to get a home inspection, in order be alerted to any issues that could become problems in the future.
In the past, it was not uncommon for buyers to show up during the inspection, so that they could learn about the property, as the inspectors would go through it. But now with social distancing and keeping safe being on the forefront of everyone’s minds, new home inspection protocols have been introduced by the British Columbia Real Estate Association (BCREA).
Inspectors now conduct their work differently compared to before the pandemic.
Below are some of the changes that are required to ensure the lowest possible risk to the inspector.
- Before an inspection is considered, the occupants of the home must answer the following questions, if in the last 14 days:
- Have they been, sick or showing any signs of sickness
- Have they been in isolation or quarantine
- Have they been in contact with anyone exposed to the coronavirus
If any of these answers is a “yes”, then the inspection is considered as a medium or high risk one, and should be postponed to a later date.
- The use of PPE (personal protection equipment) such as masks, hand sanitizers and shoe covers is necessary and the job is done in complete isolation.
- The seller must ensure that the inspector gets a clear and unobstructed access to the heating equipment, water heater, air conditioning , electrical panel and attic access hatch. All window coverings must be raised or opened. In effect, the inspector must have the least amount of physical contact with the seller’s contents.
- Used wipes, gloves and other disposable items used during the inspection must be collected in a disposal bag and then disposed off with other household waste.
- The post inspection summary review should not be done in person, but rather by telephone, email or video chat, ensuring that the inspection is done with the lowest possible exposure risk.
If you are looking to get into this market, we are offering a wide range of homes suitable for any budget. Visit our website and browse our wide range of listings.