How To Be A Responsible Short Term Rental Operator

A short-term rental is a stay in your principal residence for less than 30 days where you receive mail. If the property is a rental, then the strata bylaws must allow short-term rentals. If the property is a rental, then the landlord’s permission must be obtained.

A business license must be obtained if you want to earn money from your short-term rental. Here are the steps you need to take in order to get your license:


You must have interconnected smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher. If you have gas appliances, then a carbon monoxide detector is required.

A fire safety plan must be visible in the unit and a designated emergency contact, so the guest will know what to do and who to contact in case of an emergency.

Operating requirements

You need to keep records of fire safety maintenance.

Your business license must be printed and visibly displayed in the unit.

Neighbourhood etiquette

You must abide by the local municipal bylaws with respect to acceptable noise levels and where visitors can park.

Here’s a link to the Responsible Operator’s Handbook, that gives you all the information you require to run your short-term rental in compliance with the local bylaws.


If you meet the licensing requirements, then you can apply online here. The process is fast and easy and takes around 5 minutes if you have prepared all the above in advance.

Once the form has been filled out and the payment has been made, a printable license will be issued. This must be displayed in the unit and on all online listings and advertisements.

Remember, non-compliance may result in fines of up to $1,000 per offence.

Looking to buy or sell a home? Use our decades of experience to list your property or buy your dream home. Contact us and one of our experienced real estate professionals will be more than happy to assist you.