25 Apr 2023
So You Just Bought A Home. Here’s Some Critical Advice On What You Have To Do Next.
Congratulations on the purchase of your new home! Now that you are a proud homeowner, there are a number of actions you must do once the sale has gone through – some before you move in:
- Change your address. Alert the Post Office that you have changed your address so that they can forward new mail to your new home. Don’t forget to start changing the mailing addresses of your important accounts.
- Contact your utility and cable providers to transfer your account and do a new hook up if required.
- Change your locks – especially the exterior doors. You may have a cordial relationship with the seller, but you are not aware of how many keys of your front door are floating around. Best to be safe and change the locks.
- Store your original documents safely. Place the original documents of your mortgage loan and your title certificate in a secure off site location, preferably your safety deposit box.
- Hire a cleaning crew. You may have inherited a clean home, or at least that’s what it looks like on the surface. But on closer inspection you may find areas that need attention. So why not start a new home with a clean slate? Hiring cleaners at short notice is expensive and difficult.
- Get familiar with the circuit breaker box. It’s useful to know which fuses control which parts of the house. If the previous owner has done this, do a few sample checks to see the validity of the markings.
- Locate the water valves. If you have a plumbing emergency, you need to know where the main shut off valve is.
- Introduce yourselves to the neighbors. Having good neighbors is an asset to any household.
- Have the mechanical equipment cleaned and serviced.
- Install a home security system. Having this done the minute you move in means that your home and your valuables will be protected the whole time they are in the house.
- Buy new smoke detectors. Many new homeowners never bother to check the existing ones. Remember old ones wear out.
- Work on the floors before you move in. If you have carpets, get them cleaned professionally. If you have hardwood floors, you may want to refinish them. These actions are difficult to do once you have moved in.
- Install window treatments. Get something on the windows before you move in for privacy, security and that finishing touch.
And don’t forget to plan your house warming party!
Today, buying a home in Vancouver is a great investment. We have a very experienced and knowledgeable group of real estate professionals available to help you. Call us on 604 913 1000 or email us with any questions you may have about the market or real estate in general.