A well organized home where everything is “as it should be”, is very appealing to prospective buyers. But this is not a particularly easy task as we all have our own perceptions of how to be organized. But we can all agree on one thing – the impact of clutter!
It’s important to contain and reduce the clutter in the home for three big reasons:
- With more free space, the home gains more square footage.
- The positive features of the home are showcased.
- Buyers can easily visualize living in the space.
We are all guilty of clutter. Clutter comes in all different forms and it lingers in most homes. So if you see piles of paperwork, books piled up on top of each other, overflowing closets, jammed drawers that don’t open easily — it’s time to declutter!
Here are some tips:
- Start small. Organizing is an evolving process that changes as the needs of a homeowner change. Start small: One room, one closet, and one corner. Just start somewhere! To make it count, tackle the first cluttered area a homebuyer would see as they walk into the home.
- Schedule it. Many times a homeowner never starts the decluttering process because of time constraints. Schedule blocks of time of 1-2 hours per day or even just 15 minutes a day, depending on what needs to be organized to make your goal a reality.
- Find a home for your possessions. One reason why clutter can build up in a home is if an item is homeless. Creating a place for each item in your home is a crucial part to obtaining an organized home. Of course, keeping the space in order only happens when you return an item back to it’s home after use.
- Adopt “good habits.” This carries forward from the previous point. By always returning an item home, you’re building in a maintenance system in your organizing process. Another good habit to adopt is to take 5-10 minutes every night and put items away. This way when you wake up in the morning, the house is ready to show off.
If you are looking to sell you home in this seller’s market, you need a real estate professional that can get you the best possible price. We have a large inventory of prospective buyers both local and overseas. Contact us or call us on 604 913 1000 and let us get you the best price for your home.